Paraguay 2 Slovakia 0
New Zealand 1 Italy 1
Brazil 3 Ivory Coast 0
World Cup Kitchen is New Zealand’s favourite: Pavlova
I absolutely love Pavlova, the crisp sweet meringue with sweetened cream and fresh fruit with a drizzle of warm caramel on top – it is absolutely delicious and is actually not as hard to make as you might think.
The origins of the recipe date back to the 1920s and were named after a Russian ballet dancer who was visiting Australia & New Zealand, a chef in a hotel in Wellington in 1926 created the dish when Pavlova visited there on her world tour.
The Pavlova I have made today is enough for 4 people so if you are cooking for a larger number just multiply everything by 2.
Also many like to add Hazelnuts and mixed forest fruits to the top but my preference is to use too many fresh strawberries.
3 eggs room temperature
180g caster sugar
½ tbsp cornflower, cornstarch
1 small bag (8g) of vanilla sugar
1 tbsp vinegar (white or rice vinegar)
1 tbsp icing sugar, sifted
1 small bag (8g) vanilla sugar
1 punnet fresh strawberries (other fresh fruit can also be used to your own preference)
Large Mixing Bowl
Large Steel Spoon
- Separate white and yolk of the eggs
- Line a baking tray with parchment paper
- Preheat oven at 130C
- Beat egg whites until stiff (turn the bowl upside down to test)
- Now slowly add sugar while continuing to whisk the mixture
- Slowly fold in your vanilla sugar, corn flower and vinegar with your steel spoon
- Gently spread meringue on the parchment paper, smoothing the edges, making sure the edges of the meringue are slightly higher than the center. (You want a slight well in the center of the meringue to place the whipped cream and fruit)
- Whip the cream with the sifted icing sugar and vanilla sugar
- Finely chop your strawberries and put a first layer in the well of the meringue
- Top it with your cream and then again with more strawberries
- Mix your Sugar and water and bring to the boil in a non-stick frying pan.
- Watch your mixture transform into caramel and when done drizzle caramel over the top of the meringue
- Serve immediately