I made this today as I needed to make something veggie so I combined my 2 favourite veggie recipes together to make this very tasty lasagne. Roast vegetables (which I normally serve with pasta and crème fraiche) and the tomato sauce recipe form the basis of this lasagne. Throughout the lasagne there is a sprinkling of 3 different cheeses – Parmesan, Mozzarella & Gouda and is of course topped with a béchamel sauce.
Selection of Peppers (red, yellow, orange are best)
3 red onions
10 cherry tomatoes
2 garlic cloves
3 tbsp olive oil
Salt & Pepper
Pasting brush (for glazing the vegetables)
Small bowl for olive oil & seasoning
Chop courgettes & peppers into even strips
Chop red onions into big chunks
Chop garlic cloves finely
Chop cherry tomatoes in half
- Preheat the oven to 220C/425F/Gas 7.
- Mix olive oil with salt & pepper for pasting
- Brush olive oil over the peppers and place in a roasting dish in the pre-heated oven for 10 minutes (peppers take longer to roast so place them in first)
- After the 10 minutes add the courgettes, onions, cherry tomatoes & chopped garlic to the peppers. Brush with olive oil, then season and toss to make sure all the vegetables are coated with oil. (chopped chilli can also be added if you like things spicier)
- Roast for a further 15 minutes stirring occasionally until the vegetables are tender and beginning to brown.
Béchamel sauce (below is a super easy one, you can alternatively make a roux and add heated milk if you have the time)
45g Plain Flour
500 ml of milk
Melt butter in a pan and mix flour in with the milk. Stir the milk mixture slowly in with the melted butter and bring the full amount to the boil stirring continuously
Building the Lasagne
The 3 cheeses I use are Buffalo Mozzarella, Grated Parmesan & Grated Gouda with fresh lasagne pasta sheets.
Very simply follow the below pattern when building your lasagne (sprinkling cheese throughout each layer)
Lasagne sheet – Tomato Sauce - Lasagne sheet – Roast vegetables - Béchamel sauce - Lasagne sheet – Tomato Sauce - Lasagne sheet – Roast vegetables - Lasagne sheet – Tomato Sauce
Top the lasagne fully with Béchamel sauce & your 3 cheeses and place in a preheated 180C oven for 25-30 minutes or until golden brown.
Serve immediately with some Mozzarella Garlic bread. Recipe is here
When combining the lasagne I use fresh lasagne sheets and a very deep oven dish to get 5 layers of pasta in the dish. When using fresh lasagne sheets I will let the tomato sauce & the roast vegetables cool as adding a warm sauce to the fresh pasta makes the pasta sheet curdle upwards
Here is how you make it…