The tarts are very simplistic in that they sausage meat, pine nuts & sage baked on a bed of carmelized onions. They are super easy to get together and the end result is delicious.
Makes 2 Tarts
2 red onions
2 cloves garlic
1 chilli (optional)
Tbsp brown sugar
Tsp balsamic vinegar
Knob of butter
2 chicken sausages
Pinch of Sage
Salt & Pepper
2 Sheets Puff Pastry
2 Frying Pans
Preheat Oven to 180C
- Finely chop all your red onions, garlic & chilli
- Defrost pastry from freezer
- Heat frying pan to a medium heat and fry your red onions, garlic & chilli in butter & olive oil for at least 10 minutes (the longer the better), making sure that the onions never get too hot that they will burn.
- After 10 minutes turn up to a high heat and add your sugar & balsamic vinegar and cook for 2 minutes.
- In a 2nd frying pan scoop out the sausage meat in small balls and cook in olive oil on a medium/high heat until all the sausage meat is brown (only need to brown the meat as it will finish cooking in the oven.
- Set aside your 2 pastry sheets and make incisions on the sides of the pastry.
- Spread your onion base first, then add your sausage meat, pine nuts and sage.
- Cook in a pre-heated oven @ 180C for 25 minutes