This tandoori recipe is quite easy to follow, the only thing needed for it is time for the chicken to marinade. The general rule in Indian cooking is that meats are marinated twice. The first marinade removes moisture and the second introduces flavours and spices. You would ideally like to marinade in your yoghurt& spices for a minimum of 3 hours, a great idea is to marinade overnight and prepare for a weekend lunch or early dinner.
With the below recipe it is a single serving but a great idea for this recipe is to double the marinade quantities and buy a whole chicken and divide it into 4 pieces (2 legs, 2 breasts).
Using boneless pieces of chicken & push them through skewers for a Chicken Tikka
2 legs of chicken
Marinade 1 (Ginger-Garlic Paste)
1 tsp sea salt
3 cm cube of fresh ginger
2 large cloves of garlic
½ red chilli
1 tsp red chilli powder
2 tbsp lemon juice
Marinade 2 (Tandoori)
200g Greek Yoghurt
1 tbsp garam masala
50ml vegetable oil
½ tsp cinnamon powder
½ red chilli powder
1 tsp salt
2 Tbsp vegetable oil
½ a lime
Large marinating bowl
- Remove the skin from all the chicken and make deep incisions into the meat, sprinkle with sea salt. This will help the marinade penetrate the meat while the salt will start to tenderise the chicken.
- Ginger/Garlic Paste: place all ingredients into a food processer and blend until everything is blended finely. Remove to a smaller dish and mix further with a fork.
- Mix your chicken completely with the ginger-garlic paste, getting deep into the incisions
- Place your chicken in a sieve over a bowl and leave for 20 minutes at room temperature to allow juices to settle
- Tandoori Marinade: mix together all the ingredients and coat the chicken thoroughly and refrigerate for 2-3 hours.
Preheat oven to 200C
- Cook the twice marinated chicken on a baking seet in your preheated oven for 10 minutes
- Remove and baste your chicken in half your butter/oil
- Cook for a further 15 minutes
- Baste with remaining butter/oil and sprinkle lime juice
- Serve with cooked white rice or/and nan bread