A real favourite of mine at Christmas but in all honesty it can be eaten all year round if you can get your hands on some good Ham. The Ham comes in 2 stages. Firstly you need to boil it – you can do this the day before.
Secondly you roast it – it only takes 60 minutes, so do this while the Turkey is resting in the Aluminum Foil
You will need aprox 250g per person – again cook more as it is really delicious as leftovers
1 bay leaf
3 medium onions
Tbsp Pepper corns
200g dark brown sugar
70ml cider vinegar
2tsp ground nutmeg
2 tsp ground cinnamon
2tsp whole cloves
- Discard all fat from Ham and soak for at least 24 hours in cold water
Boiling (DAY BEFORE)
- Place your soaked ham in a large saucepan with your bay leaf, onions & peppercorns & cover with water.
- Bring to the boil and skim away any impurities
- Turn down to a light simmer and cook for 25minutes per 500g.
- When cooked drain and allow to completely cool
Preheat oven to 190C
- Combine honey, brown sugar, cider vinegar, nutmeg & cinnamon into a paste
- Score the Ham into diamond shapes and score each intersection with your cloves
- Baste Ham completely with your paste and cook for 60 minutes rebasting the ham every 10 minutes